Follow these steps to connect to REST APIs.
- 1.Click Data Sources on Openblocks homepage.
- 2.Click New Data Source on the upper right. This permission is restricted to workspace admins and developers.
- 3.Select APIs > REST API.
- 4.Configure general settings. At a minimum, input Name and the base URL of the API to connect to. Headers and Parameters are optional. These are all common parameters that consist of URL query prefixes.
- 5.Configure Authentication Type.
- 6.Click Save.
You can also connect to a new REST API data source when creating or editing queries in query library or query editor.
The default authentication type is None. Other options are Basic and Digest, which require configuration of Username and Password.
In the advanced settings tab, you can configure SSL Cert Verification for your data sources. Three options are available: CA (Certificate Authority) Certificate, Self Signed Certificate, or Disabled. For security reasons, Openblocks accepts APIs with CA certificates by default. For APIs without CA certificates, you can either select "Verify Self Signed Cert" and enter the self-signed certificate or disable the SSL Cert verification.
Note that for self-signed certificate, the information should be provided in .PEM (Privacy-Enhanced Mail) format. This certificate will be encrypted and stored securely in Openblocks.
You can create REST API queries in two ways:
- add a new data source and then create a query
- create a query directly
Note that without creating a new data source, the REST API data source is not stored in your Data Sources and thus cannot be accessed to build other queries.
Follow the steps to add a new REST API data source first and then create a query.
- 1.Connect REST API to access to.
- 2.In the query editor, click + New.
- 3.Select the added API in Data source.
- 4.Enter URL, Headers, Parameters, and fill in other fields if needed.
- 5.Click ▶ Run.
Follow the steps to create a REST API query directly.
- 1.In the query editor, click + New.
- 2.Select REST Query in Data Sources. Openblocks offers this built-in plain data source so that you can quickly create REST API queries without adding a new data source first.
- 3.Enter URL, Query, Variables, Parameters, and fill in other fields if needed.
- 4.Click ▶ Run.